Monday 30 August 2010

Last Day of Treatment

Its been a bit busy here ......... so lots to catch up on!

Friday

Where was all the festival traffic and commuter traffic early Friday morning? - easiest journey yet and couldn't believe the empty spaces in the hospital car park.


At 8.55 a.m was called early for my 9.00 am appointment. They obviously saved the best for last! I was out by 9.05 a.m much to Neil's surprise. We then had to wait 20 minutes  to see the consultant. This was the first time that I had met him as I had always seen his registrars before. He was not what I expected - younger and very enthusiastic. I think I expected him to be older and more serious. I am now referred back to the consultant at Heatherwood Hospital where I started out before Reading. I will  follow up with them next week so I don't fall into any cracks in between the hospitals. I like the consultants line " it doesn't seem like you have lost your appetite while you were receiving treatment"  - I wonder what he was inferring??? It looks like I will now be left alone for 6 weeks while  the radio and chemo carry on doing their thing. As I have mentioned at the start, the treatment is cumulative so now at the end of the 5 weeks it is at it's peak and should remain  working for 5 weeks. So 25 sessions of radio therapy, 50 trips to and from Reading & 280 tablets later (  not that I was counting! )  this part of the journey has come to an end. Every radiographer that has dealt with me has been all I could have wished for - for the time I was with them I was  focus and they made me feel like I was their only patient. I admire their professionalism and dedication in what sometimes must be a difficult environment dealing with patients suffering with various degrees of cancer. 5 weeks have passed so quickly.
Not much change in 5 weeks thankfully


At the start the thought of it was quite daunting but I think I have been very very fortunate not to have had any serious side effects and have managed to keep positive through this part of the journey, again I have to say thank you to all who wished me well and supported me along the way.

So all the hospital stuff done an dusted we went off to celebrate with  brunch at Bill's Cafe. We shared a bacon sandwich ( I had been salivating for a bacon sandwich - but the reality did not live up to expectations I have to say, I am happy not to have another :-) and poached eggs with smoked salmon & hollandaise sauce  was easily the best!
Reading was busy with the Festival crowd coming into town for loos and food - they were all very muddy and beginning to pong - can't think what the attraction is or what they will smell like by Monday!

Early evening met Gillian at Pennyhill Park Hotel (where she had been for a  luxurious Spa Day)  for drinks to celebrate the end of the Reading experience. Enjoyed a pomegranate Bellini - well pomegranate is a super food!  Listened to some cool duo on the double bass and saxophone - relaxing way to start the weekend. Then off to Loch Fyne in Ascot for early dinner - which was an unusual experience! I am not sure why we had greater expectations but the place was busy and noisy - thankfully we were sat in a quiet area in the conservatory and not in the milieu of the main restaurant which was packed , food was good at least.

The last 4
  And I took my last chemo tablets - no more pills and relying on the alarm on my mobile to remind me to take my evening dose.





Celebration coctails
Chilled Gillian



Felt very tired by the time I climbed into my bed at 10.30 - but an eventful day!


Saturday...............

Leisurely breakfast with Gillian chatting non stop as we do while Neil went for a run with Rosemary. He came back laden with blackberries they had picked. Experiments with the blender continues today - smoothies, celery soup and a delicious banana juice with coconut milk and cardamon. Along with homemade spelt bread not only am I  still at the peak of my treatment but also at the peak of healthy eating. G& I ventured to Yoga for Harmony studio in Windsor for a one and a half hour  relaxation class. This included practices to release tension in the body, complete systematic relaxation & relaxed breath training, It certainly lived up to it's name as we both staggered out of there very chilled. Gone are the days when on a Saturday afternoon we would be staggering out of a wine bar after a long lunch:-)

I found that this class was exactly what I needed today as feeling tired for most of the morning and after the class not only was my body feeling more relaxed but so was my mind. Hoped that the relaxed state lasted until bed time and it did!!

A lovely evening with G. Rosemary & Neil - dinner on our laps in front of the TV followed by SATC2 film - what a load of old tosh! Weak story line , fashion excesses, advert for Abu Dhabi when it was filmed in Marrakesh and total fantasy. But in a way strangely compelling!  For all the money these actresses have they have aged as we all do which is reassuring. I think that this was even more poignant for me as I have been watching the series on DVD while I have been resting.

I have developed a mouth ulcer - can't remember when I last had one! More annoying than sore!

Sunday................ a day of two halves.

G left after weekend break at Chez B&N with some small courgettes from the garden, container of homemade celery soup and some spelt bread ! Jeremy and David our friends from North Yorkshire called in for brunch as they were down south visiting family in Walton. It was lovely to see them before they went back north. David commented that the brunch was worthy of one of Alastair Sawday's recommended B&Bs - I was really chuffed! My home made blackberry and apple muffins were a great hit! I wish they lived closer so we could see more of them - but when we meet we pick up where we left off. Lynne came to join us for coffee afterwards and entertained us with her family history stories of the Foskett Family.

After they all left we have had the rest of the day to ourselves.............. reading the papers, watching football and my favourite hobby of course - resting!

1 comment:

  1. Papa I, What a bust weekend, are you sure you had time to fit in some rest? Lovely that you had plenty of company, and i second the blueberry muffins are fantastic ...

    Love the picures, especially the one of you and Papa II and Auntie Gillian.
    See you tomorrow
    Love Daughter

    ReplyDelete