Wednesday 3 November 2010

Long time no hear from me..............

Apologies but a combination of not feeling like blogging, a bit of travel and being busy has left the blog feeling very neglected. There has been no updates here for you to see what was happening and some of you must be wondering what is going on. So sorry for the gap yet again!

I have a date set for the operation - Monday 15 November. I have to go in the afternoon before for all the pre-operative preparations. They advise that I will be in hospital between 7-10 days. I am planning on getting myself out of there in 7 as I  want to spend the least amount of time there and come home and recuperate.

So with the date set - what to do to keep myself positive and stop the slide into the dark side happening again. After a trip to the cinema to see Eat Pray Love with Neil & Rosemary where Julia Roberts spends the Eat part of the movie in Rome chomping her way through pasta pizza and all that lovely well known Italian food sloshed down with a glass of red wine - the temptation was too great. So after discussing the benefits of said trip with Neil and encouraged by Gillian who loves Italy off I went on the 20th Oct for 3 days. The plan was for me to have a day or 2 on my own and then Neil would join me. The joys of having a partner that works for an airline is that you can act on a whim and normally get a seat on the plane without it costing you a small fortune!  I had a wonderful time wandering around looking at beautiful buildings, paintings, statues and fountains as well as eating delicious food of course.

Eat.......


The sun shone and it was 20C - perfect for sight seeing.

Two old ruins.........


St Peter's was beautiful and said a few prayers not only for me but asked for help for other loved ones that are going through a similar  experience as myself.

Pray....

I could hardly believe it was late Oct especially when we dined outside on 2 nights - more than we did here in the summer!  It got even better when Neil joined me - we chattered our way through Rome and enjoyed ourselves so much we decided to stay an extra night:-).

Love.....

I count myself very lucky to have made that trip as not only did I not think about operations, cancer et al but we had a pact not to talk about it. Call this denial I like to call a distraction.  The trip has proved to be a turning point in me getting myself back into a positive frame of mind.Of course I am worried about the op - I have never been in hospital before and now I have the prospect of  3 to 5 hours of surgery. But I felt refreshed and strengthened by the experience to go onwards with this journey I find unexpectedly to be on. I feel more positive than I have felt during the rest of Oct and thanks for all your emails and calls - many of which Neil had to answer.
A view to remember

Then the following week the long awaited and planned since April trip to Paris happened - more in a separate blog later - but I did not think over the summer that I would be able to make it - and I did!!!

1 comment:

  1. Think I need to explain the unusual pose outside St Peter's, it's a silly tradition to pose like a Japanese tourist in front of as many well known landmarks as I can..hope the real Papa did not think I was being disrespectful :-)

    ReplyDelete