Friday 12 November 2010

Change of Plans

I am now going to have my operation at Basingstoke Hospital which is the UK Centre of Excellence for Bowel cancers such as mine. When I met the consultant at Wexham Park on the 6th he told me what he could do for me but was also  happy to refer me to Basingstoke.  I decided it was important to go and speak to them,  so arranged an appointment last Friday but  agreed beforehand to postpone my operation scheduled for 8th Nov till  the 15th Nov at Wexham Pk to give me the time to digest the information from Basingstoke.

So off we went to a new hospital and met the new consultant and nurse.I was very impressed with all of  them and the hospital.  There was something about Wexham Park I could not quite put my finger on that left me feeling a bit uncomfortable. After listening to the new consultant and his team as well as seeing the hospital I  felt that this was the right place for me. I feel that I am going to the best place for the surgery and have a confidence in this choice that I did not have in Wexham Park. So all change!  They have a different less invasive approach to the operation  which I believe is down to their  greater levels of experience and  expertise.  For anyone interested this is a link to their website.

Neil has been amazing in listening to me weighing up the options and is always prepared to talk about the choices.

This means that the op will now not be until the end of the month but it is worth the wait. The cancer is very slow growing so there is no immediate rush. I will need another MRI  scan to see what has happened since the last one on 30 September.

So after Oct being  a crappy month (cancer  wise)  things are picking up and I feel a lot better. Everyone still says how well I look, I don't think they are just being kind !!    I even made it to London on Wednesday for supper with Gillian which was at our favourite haunt Terroir - very French and delicious food and my energy levels are almost back to normal,  going to get out in the garden to do some winter tidying up this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment