Saturday 27 November 2010

Recovery

Our patient is doing very well you will be pleased to hear.  I went in at 10pm last night to see him,  had thought he might be back on the  ward by then but he was still in Recovery,  I asked if I could see him briefly in there and they said that was fine, ended up staying there for 3 hours till 1am :-)  

Was preparing myself for him to look pretty rough and groggy but he was the complete opposite,  for a start he was awake and compis mentis he  recognised me right away even without his glasses and he looked remarkably clam and relaxed. He was the only one there and was being very well  looked after by the two nurses,  he had not had a pre-med which was why he was so awake I think, said he had pains when they brought him round but the self administered Morphine was doing the trick,  he was pumping away at it but it's great as he can't overdose because if he pumps it too much he just falls asleep..unfortunately they denied my request to take one home for myself :-(   He had numerous tubes going in and out of just about everywhere, think I counted about 9  but was very comfortable,  his mouth was completely dry as he is still not allowed to take any fluids orally so they had to moisten his lips and tongue with a giant Q tip this made it a bit hard for him to talk but he was very alert, making the nurses laugh and asking me to bring stuff in for him for tomorrow,  we eventually packed him all up and wheeled him back to the ward at 1am back to his same room on C2, they made him comfortable and I said good night about 1:30 the nurse would be then checking on him every hour so hopefully he has had a decent night's sleep.

I'll be back there at lunchtime to see him, he does have his mobile phone with him so if you want to text him feel free I'm sure he'd love to hear from you. Or some people have asked for the hospital address which is

Ward C2 Room3
Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital

Aldermaston Road,
Basingstoke,
Hampshire,
RG24 9NA

I can also print off any emails that you send to take in for him to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment