Saturday 20 November 2010

Wednesday - not like any other!

Wednesday brought the pre op assessment at Basingstoke. All went well again - things do go smoothly there! I was there for 3 hours - filling in forms, being prodded and blood taken - all OK. Well apart from my blood pressure being slightly on the high side. Nothing to really worry about but surprised as usually my blood pressure has been fine. But then I am not surprised as the thought of the operation has probably not helped - especially as at 53 this is the first operation that I have had and the first stay in hospital. Think that I have done well to get to this age without having those experiences. I also suffer from white coat syndrome so when they wheel out the blood pressure machine I can feel it rising and then we get stuck in a loop where it just keeps going up - which is of course what happened. But I was told not to worry as there was no problem for the op. Needless to say I have been checking it at home and the reading has gone down - not quite to normal but getting there. I am now kick starting my meditation and breathing exercises as well as doing some Yin Yoga at home Yin Yoga is a type of yoga where you hold the  poses for at least several minutes  which is very relaxing and soft while stretching the connective tissue around a joint.

I was most impressed when I was at Basingstoke with my new consultant Tom Cecil. I was walking along a corridor at the hospital and I recognised him coming towards me and he stopped and asked how I was, had I had my scan and were we all set for 26th? I have only met him once and he remembered me and my details but also he has a personable side. As Mat a friend of mine commented "Sooo pleased that the Basingstoke hospital has proved to be such a good move" - and long may it continue.

Thinking that was enough excitement for one day I was surprised by the events of the afternoon. I was amazed to see an air ambulance land at the end of our road around 3.00pm.
What skill to land here!
Couldn't resist the temptation to venture out to see what was happening. Won't bore you with the details as it's all here if you want to read it. But there were a lot of people there and we then had press helicopters flying over all night and Sunningdale was on the main news broadcasts that night and not for the right reasons - the poor man who died was on the pavement for hours while they carried out  the forensic investigation. Not the sort of thing you expct to happen at the end of your road !!.

No comments:

Post a Comment