Thursday 14 October 2010

Where have I been?

Sorry for the lack of blog activity in the last 2 weeks and for not being in contact but to be totally honest I have not felt like putting pen to paper..or should that be  single fingers to keyboard??

 I went back to see the  Surgeon a week ago to discuss scan results. The good news is that  the tumour has not got any bigger and there has been some shrinkage but it has not responded in the way we had hoped.This means that it will make the operation more complicated and this is not what we had hoped for.

So  since I saw the Doctor I have been up and down. At times  I have felt like the last 12 weeks have been a waste of effort. The Consultant and Nurse explained this was not the case as the treatment would  also have had an impact on the roots system of the tumour which is equally important. I have spoken subsequently to McMillan Nurses and they advised that these sorts of feelings are very common where the patient almost feels worse than when first diagnosed.  We felt like we were winning the battle by coming through the Chemo and Radiology almost unscathed only to be brought back down to earth with a big bump with the details of how complicated the operation will be.  Of course I am only part of the way through the journey of getting rid of this cancer and as I have been feeling so well I had lulled myself into a false sense of security so facing reality again had been very difficult mentally and emotionally.

We have a tentative date set for early in November for the operation and in the interim I am having further discussions with doctors and nurses so  I can approach that date with confidence and optimism.

Meanwhile I have cried my way through the rescue of the Chilean miners and Single Father on BBC1 Sunday evening. My friend Alison tried to warn me off the Chilean miners rescue as not suitable for the "emotionally unstable" but received the warning too late as I was viewing at 8.00 a.m.

I am still keeping well and doing all the things I was doing as I now have to be strong for the operation and hopefully a speedy recovery. The good news is that I am emerging from the planet of despair - which is not in my top 10 places to visit!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brian, good to see you blogging again, it's understandable that you've not done so in the last week or so. I can appreciate your emotional response to the Chilean miners, it's so rare to have such a fantastic good news story these days, and with your own experience of Latin America.
    Hope to speak to you both soon.

    ReplyDelete