Wednesday 1 February 2012

Busy busy busy............

Keeping busy as I find this a great distraction from thinking too much about the operation next week. Monday was busy catching up with people - daughter( Lisa) made a visit to see me and we took the opportunity to have a delicious lunch at Fego with Sara & Ruth. Dave came for dinner and stayed over as he was off bright and early for Warsaw this morning - where he hopes to relocate shortly. This could be an opportune move from Neil's perspective as one of the venues for UEFA Euro 2012 is Warsaw.

Tuesday I went to the gym and saw Ben my Personal Trainer and told him the latest news about me going into hospital on Sunday. I really had a good training session and can feel my stamina and strength coming back. I ran 2.5 km at 9.5 km an hour in 17.09 mins last week with which I was really pleased. I was planning on being able to run a 5k in March or April and raise some money for the Pelican Trust. I am a bit disappointed that I won't be able to do this. I now face the prospect of going backwards and after the op taking things slowly. I am hoping that the hard work getting back to some level of fitness will hold me in good stead for a speedy recovery. If I hadn't seen the scan myself I would query the diagnosis as I am feeling fine. Normally you come out of hospital feeling better than when you went in - something I can't think will apply to me. But at least the tumour will be gone - and then I can focus on getting stronger.

I have also added to the costs of providing benefits !  I am now claiming Employment and Support Allowance. I thought why not after all I have paid my National Insurance all my working life so by claiming I think of it as getting a refund! The advisor on their help line who guided me through completing my claim was surprisingly helpful and even said that he hoped that my operation was a great success and that I was feeling better soon. You find empathy from people in the strangest of places.

Off to the Doctors this morning and then going into Windsor.

So keeping busy I find is the key to getting through this waiting period.

No comments:

Post a Comment