Saturday 4 February 2012

Pre Op Assessment - Thursday 2 February

Main entrance at Basingstoke Hospital.
I attended my pre operation assessment at Basingstoke on Thursday.This involves completing all the necessary paperwork and consent forms as well as giving some blood samples, a medical to confirm that I am fit for the operation and a chest x-ray. I passed all the requirements, even if my blood pressure was slightly raised, compared to the reading that I had taken at home earlier in the morning.

The nurse was very reassuring and told me what to expect. I am to arrive on Sunday afternoon around 4.00 p.m. I am first on the surgery list for Monday morning so should be in  theatre for 8.00 a.m. I have never had a Monday morning like this before!  The op should take about 3 hours plus 1 hour in recovery. Then I will be moved to the High Dependency Unit for 24 hours where I will be closely monitored and have one to one nursing. I was told what to expect in terms of tubes and drains and when they would be removed which while interesting verged on too much information.

All being well I will be moved back to the ward sometime on Tuesday where the physios will have me up and walking about and sitting in a chair. If there are no complications then I should be in hospital for about 7 days.

I was given a mouthwash that I have to use twice a day for 2 days before the operation which will cut down on the bacteria in my mouth and throat. I now understand why this is necessary as the liver fights off bacteria and as it is going to be reduced in size it needs all the help it can get in easing the strain over the next few weeks.



Fego Sunningdale




I needed a treat after the realisation of what the next week held for me - so I just had to go to Fego and have a Tuna Melt Panni!
Yummy!



When I am at home convalescing I will have to ask Ruth to bring me one back when she goes to Fego.

So just have to keep busy until Sunday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment