Tuesday 14 February 2012

Just think..............

It is just over a week since my operation - and that week has passed incredibly quickly. Neil has once again done a brilliant job in keeping close friends and family up to date with what was happening as well as visiting me every day and walking Colin. Even when he has been worried himself or exhausted he has always brightened up my day. He always finds that extra time to let everyone know how I am progressing.

A BIG BIG thank you to you all for your cards, emails and texts which were so important in encouraging me to get well.  I am still amazed at the recovery I have made after the liver resection operation. I was home Thursday evening feeling tired, knocked around and sore.

Thursday had been a busy day. All the tubes and drains were removed in the morning about 30 minutes after the Registrar said they could, which meant that once this was done, I was freely mobile again. A shower - such bliss when you have had to do with a wash for 2 days - and was a real pick me up. I then had two tests to pass before I could be discharged. One was walking up and down a flight of stairs with the physio - which I passed easily. The second was to make sure that I was peeing properly and again I passed that test. So having completed these by 4.00pm I was ready to be discharged on Friday.

But when the Registrar did his rounds at 5.00pm and said that I was good to go - Neil cheekily asked if he could take me home that evening. Surprising the Registrar agreed! So an hour later I was on my way home up the M3. Still thinking how quickly it all happened and I was home 3 days ahead of what I had thought would be the earliest I would be home.

How good it felt to be back home even if I was sore and tired. Colin was so happy to see me, his tail wagging and his famous smile!
No smile! Notice the cushion in the back ground! Very true!

 I could not pick him up as it would have been too uncomfortable as I still have all the stitches in. The stitches will be there for another week when I go to the Practice Nurse at the GPs for their removal.

It was so lovely to sleep in my own bed and Friday I felt infinitely better. I continue to get stronger each day. Since I came home I have rested a lot either in bed watching DVDs, reading or watching TV in the living room. It was so cold at the weekend that I didn't venture outside the front door!

It was lovely to see people who dropped by over the weekend with a selection of goodies to eat as well as to receive beautiful floral gifts that friends had sent me. Here is just a selection.

Beautiful Roses

Stunning Orchid

Crocus Time.


I am truly humbled yet again by the kindness and generosity that people have showed over the last week. This includes the nurses, doctors, cleaning staff at the hospital as well as from family and friends - but most of all to Neil who without I would find this all too difficult at times. And here is my welcome home card from Neil...........

Welcome Home Heart in the Snow outside the kitchen doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment