Sunday 29 January 2012

2012 - not quite the start to the year that I was expecting...........

I hope that you are all well and that you are settling into 2012?

I thought that I would give you a quick update as there has been a lot happening in the last month health wise. While I anticipated that 2012 would be a better year health wise, things have not got off to a great start unfortunately. The CEA levels in my blood were slightly raised in a blood test that I had at the end of November which indicates that there is some activity which could be cancer. A colonoscopy before Christmas on the large bowel was clear so I thought this blood test was a blip. But in January the consultant in Basingstoke rang me to discuss things and thought that I should have a CT scan to see what was going on. This somewhat alarmed me but I kept calm about it.

I had the scan and went to get the results last Friday morning. They have found a 2-3 cm tumour in my liver. This will need to be removed so I have to have another operation to remove it. Not quite the news that I wanted - but I am assured that as they have caught it early it is curable. There is no sign of any other tumours else where. I am feeling fine and eating everything again with no side effects and am told am looking very well. So this has come all as a surprise as you can imagine.But apparently 50% of bowel cancer patients go on to have a cancer in the liver - lucky me! I am told that this cancer is the same type as the bowel cancer so that is why they believe it is curable.

Last Thursday I was told that they need to operate on it sooner rather than later as the tumour is in a tricky place. so I am scheduled to have the op on 6 Feb.  We had booked a holiday to Cape Town for 2 weeks starting on 14 Feb which we have had to postpone  and hope that I make a speedy recovery so I can make the trip at the end of March - fingers crossed.

So not a great start to 2012 but we are keeping very positive.

As you can see I have started up the blog again  and will update you as and when. Thank you for all your support last year - little did I know that I would be back here so soon!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Brian (& Neil) all we can say is F*** what an absolute pain/nuisance/disappointment... good that they say it is a common (50%) problem after bowel cancer and good that they say it is curable, so hopefully all will be well sooner rather than later. Big hugs and lots of love to you both from Mat & Sara xxxx

    ReplyDelete