Wednesday 23 February 2011

Life in between the chemo sessions

I can't believe that I am going in to have Round 2 of my chemo tomorrow. It only seems like yesterday that I was off for Round 1. This last week has been a drug free zone with no chemo tablets. I almost began to feel ok with the help of a rest in the afternoons. The tingling in the hands has subsided and I have been able to get things out of the fridge without resorting to gloves :-) Chopping vegetables without gloves is a much easier exercise. No other nasty side effects so I have got away pretty lightly I think....so far.  The secret is to pace yourself - something that you would think  would be second nature to me. When I am feeling good I sometimes forget so that I end up feeling more tired than I should. I am not practicing what I preach to others but I'm getting used to the concept, especially after my second week with this 1st bout of chemo when I felt my energy return  I was off and running after being couped up for 4 days. I was out to dinner and a trip to London with daughter and Neil, Chris and Philip came for the weekend and as I could drive I went to see friends and family. Needless to say the weekend of C&P's visit resulted in me feeling pretty tired. So the next week I took it easier. I stayed in or around home and people were welcome to phone or pop in but I did not go very far and felt much better for it,  so lesson learnt.

This last weekend we had a lovely supper with 10 of the neighbours at one their houses - was relieved that we were not hosting the  event. The food was great - it was a pot luck supper in that we were all told to bring a dish which worked really well. I took a pavlova, Chris gave me a fool proof recipe last summer which works every time, with tropical fruits on the top it was a good success.

This evening Daughter and Claire came over which took my mind off tomorrow. It is Daughter's birthday on Sunday so we had a celebratory tea with cakes, candles and a rendition of Happy Birthday. Claire shared her holiday photos with us of her trip to California and Hawaii. She gave us some Hawaiian cookies in the shape of pineapples - something yummy to have with a cuppa over the next few days.

Claire me Daughter & Neil

Helping Daughter blow out her candle - we only had a candle in the shape of a 4 - it wasn't her 4th birthday

Daughter with Papa 1 & Papa 2

No comments:

Post a Comment