Saturday 26 November 2011

One Year Ago today....................

I had my operation to remove the tumour. A year seems a long time and upon reflection it is seems longer than that and sometimes it feels like it has all passed so quickly. It has been one of the most unusual years of my life.

Ironically yesterday (one year to the day that I was admitted into hospital before my major op) I had a follow up meeting with the consultant at Basingstoke to see how I was after the operation at the end of Sept. He was very pleased with my progress and he examined my tummy and he said that all had healed nicely. I told him on my progress in terms of trips to the loo which has now reduced again to 3-4 times a day and that I can now get out and about. He and the co-rectal cancer nurse were very pleased with this news as some patients can take up to 6 months to a year to get to the stage I am at. So I was delighted with this news and he said that things will still continue to improve

The best news of all is that he has agreed to be responsible for follow ups and monitoring going forward. I have great faith in his expertise and in Basingstoke's attention to detail in arranging appointments and there is hardly any delay when you attend an appointment. I was sent for a blood test so that they could measure my CEA (Carcinoembryonic Antigen) levels to see how they are a year on after surgery and 6 months after chemo. I then will have to a colonoscopy in January. If all clear then a colonoscopy will not be required for 3 years but if there are then they will be annually. I then have a CT scan in July as that is a year since the chemo finished. So there is a plan for monitoring me going forward which I am happy about.

I continue to keep busy - I have even ventured back to the gym as I would like to improve my strength and stamina. After doing virtually no exercise apart from walking Colin I realise that this could be a long slog. I was lucky that the gym has given me three free sessions with a Personal Trainer. I met with him last Thursday for a fitness assessment. I was surprised that my body fat percentage was 21% - which is a good indication that there has not been huge muscle wastage over the last year. I am looking forward to Monday as I meet with him again to start work on a training programme he will have put together for me.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment