Wednesday 20 April 2011

About the same

Since last Wednesday the pattern has been the same that followed other treatments even if the dosage was reduced. Thursday and Friday were relatively OK - just tingly hands and tiredness. The tingling in the feet was not as bad as last time and was nothing to be really concerned about. I think that the warmer weather helps. Saturday the tiredness increased lasting into Sunday and Monday. I think that this must be the cumulative effect of the chemo.

On Saturday I did manage to go to the RSPCA Spring Fayre at Millbrook and forced myself to have tea and a cup cakes sat outside in the sunshine. Neil was in celebratory mood as Man City are in the FA Cup Final - first time for 30 years! Beating their nemesis Man Utd was the additional icing on the cake. Shame Neil had to work at midnight for a few hours or there would have been more celebrations. So now looking forward to the FA Cup Final after all the reruns of Saturday's game.

I received a copy of a letter that the oncologist sent to my GP.He does this every month with details of my progress. This month he has said :

"he has tolerated the treatment extremely well, the extra week has helped his fatigue and he is now back at work. His neutrophil count continues to be low and barely recovers and dose adjustments have been made to accommodate this but I sense that the Oxaliplatin will have to be withdrawn by cycle 5-6  and will be confirmed at his next visit."

This makes sense when you realise that Neutrophil is a type of white blood cell and Oxaliplatin is the chemo drug in my infusion. So  it seems that we are closer to the end of the intravenous chemo than we initially thought. My next appointment with the oncologist is 4 May. This means that I will have my blood test very early in the cycle as there are Bank Holidays on 29 April and 2 May.

No comments:

Post a Comment