Tuesday 25 March 2014

Kris Hallenga - Dying to Live a BBC 3 programme you have to watch and memories of Angela Chamberlain who made me smile a loy.


Kris Hallenga was diagnosed withe Stage 4 breast cancer at the age of 23. Through her charity, CoppaFeel! she is fighting to raise awareness of breast cancer in young people.  She has made a TV programme "Dying to Live" which is aired on BBC 3 on 26 March at 9 p.m. This is a programme I all encourage you to watch as difficult as it might be. She is one very brave woman. The film documents her life-changing and life-enhancing cancer journey and the way she has fought against public ignorance to ensure that doctors and young women are more aware of breast cancer and can find it – and beat it – early.

I can really relate to her quote:

" Cancer has given me a life and given meaning to what I do with my life.
I'd really hope and like to think that I would have that same appreciation of life even if I didn't have cancer, but this has just made it all the more important."
  


 This reminds me of  a woman I met at Penny Brohn two years ago called Angela Chamberlain, who was the one of the youngest women in Cardiff to be diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 21. When I met her she was 32. She was one of the most inspirational people I have met. She had a cheeky smile and a great sense of humour. We met on a Living Well course at Penny Brohn Cancer Care in 2012. I still have such fond memories of that course. Angela just made me laugh so much at a time when I was finding it difficult to laugh. I am still amazed how we laughed so much when we were at a cancer care centre. I was  saddened to hear that less than a year after we met she sadly passed away.

So I urge you to watch Kris Hallenga's programme to see just what strain and difficulties these  women have been through at such a young age and how brave and inspirational. This  film shows just how difficult this journey is for them and all around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment