Monday 14 October 2013

Matilda Tristram and how her comic strip helped her describe her cancer journey



  
I was listening to Saturday Live on Radio 4 while I was driving on Saturday morning. This is not a programme that I normally listen to as I am normally walking Colin at that time on a Saturday morning but this week had a different start. What a varied programme and I think I will have to listen to it again.

One of the guests was Matilda Tristram. At 31, she was looking forward to having her first baby and then she discovered she had cancer. She has  written a beautiful account of what it's like to find out you have colon cancer when you're 17 weeks pregnant in a comic strip format. Her comic about the experience is raw, funny and still unfolding. I was captivated by her story and so googled her when I got home and became even more interested in her story and felt that I just wanted to headline this on here as she is an inspirational woman who not only had to deal with her cancer but also agonising decisions about her pregnancy. I urge you to read about her   And here is a clip of her comic strip.

I have read lots of blogs about cancer but it is so refreshing to see it all described in a comic strip. There is more of her work on Matilda's website.  Her comic strip about colon cancer is Colonomic. Hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment