Friday 23 November 2012

Penny Brohn Retreat - 7- 9 November 2012

 It was good to find myself back at the Penny Brohn Cancer Care Centre just outside Bristol. This was a Retreat called the Introduction to the 5 day Retreat called the Journey of Transformation. This was different than the courses that I had attended in the past which were informative about diet, mindfulness, exercise and well being. Over the 2 days of this retreat we got more time than on the other courses for mindful reflection and discussion.There were 8 of us in the group and this led to some interesting conversations. I met up again with two ladies who I met on the first course so we had lots to catch up on. Being in the comfort of this place I did find a place of stillness that I hadn't felt for a while. A place where things slowed down and a space for reflection of the last few months appeared. I found this at first a strange place to visit. I let it run and it was quite interesting what came out. A huge sense of gratitude about my life as it is at the moment. My answers to 5 simple questions really surprised me and still do - a real sense of being happy.

I spent 45 mins wandering around the garden in a mindful silent walk. I can't believe how beautiful that time was and how much I benefited from slowing down and spending that time so engaged with nature. I spent ages looking at a Monkey Puzzle tree - a tree that ordinarily I am not a great fan of but upon close examination is amazing - the leaf and branch structure so pliable yet so strong. I had to take 10 minutes the next day to take some photos to remind me of that special walk.
The close leaf structure of the Monkey Puzzle Tree
The leaves completely cover the branches.

I came across this circle of seats in the woods.

Sun illuminating the golden leaves of autumn

The garden at PB.






Smile !!!

I came away rested and my mind quietened by the experience. Over the last few weeks some different things emerged which I have spent a lot of time thinking about. I think I am now on my way back to making sense of some of this and finding a renewed energy and direction.

Alison tells me that you get what you need and not necessarily what you want. I met a lady at PB who really inspired me to think again about alternative treatments and therapies working in conjuction with main stream cancer treatments. Now I have decided to explore this I feel so much more positive again.


No comments:

Post a Comment