Friday 23 November 2012

Bristol and floods - an adventure

What a day to decide to travel to Bristol! All was going well until Chippenham and I was thinking that this was so much better than driving - less stress and enjoying my book. I was looking forward to a bit of lunch in one of the trendy cafes in Clifton before my appointment.
Then all my plans were shelved as the train came to a grinding halt and then we just sat there! Torrential rain overnight had caused major chaos from Chippenham onwards. So I sat on a train waiting to see what was going to happen. There was flood ahead of us and although a train can travel through water it cannot travel through running water. So we had to wait for the food water to stop running. And we couldn't go back as there was severe congestion on the line. I have to give First Great Western some credit as they did manage to keep us informed of what was happening.

Flooded railway track

Completely immersed
Two hours and twenty minutes late my train arrived at Bristol Temple Meads - where chaos ensued as there were people queueing for replacement bus services to destinations that trains could not get to because of the floods.
Thankfully I was able to reschedule my appointment - I was delighted that they could do so and couldn't thank Dr Hembry enough. So at least my adventure was not in vain! and my session with her was just what I needed to hear - more later.







No comments:

Post a Comment