Wednesday 8 September 2010

At last a real update!









Since I finished my visits to Reading I have been a bit undisciplined and disorganised in updating my blog. Health wise there has not been a lot happening.

Last week and this week  I  have been at the  peak of intensity  in terms of the treatment doing its work to the tumour (we hope) and the only side effects have been the tiredness and some red blotches of dry skin. The tiredness is often my own fault in overdoing things - I  don't pace myself when doing things and wonder why I am suddenly running low on energy and feeling like I have jet lag. A rest perks me up and sometimes a little nap is in order ,  if I can't do it now when is it allowable?.

The dry skin is remedied by aqueous cream as recommended by the hospital.  It's a  cream that can be used as a soap substitute or a moisturiser and the good thing it is that is cheap and perfume free. I didn't know until I was told by a radiographer that a lot of  shower gels contain metal so it is not advisable to use these when you are undergoing radiotherapy.

The last  week has been fun as well..........

A trip to Chawton in Hampshire with Rosemary to visit Jane Austen's house - such a pretty village and house. I have never read one of her books so I have started Sense and Sensibility which is the first of her novels to be published - still struggling with it  - but have to say that it is beautifully wordsmithed if a bit twee!
At Jane's house - no idea where she was!?
Rosemary - do you think this will fit?

Daughter came to visit last Wednesday and  she claims that she can't cook so we had cookery lessons!  With a lot of patience from the newly chilled me she managed to bake a lemon drizzle cake, a Thai prawn and mango green curry ( recipe c/o Claire) and yes even though Daughter cooked it, it was delicious. Well done Daughter!!! And my kitchen is still intact and I can recommend her as an excellent washer upper! Neil said she could come back anytime :-)
Cooking Pappa's lunch
All my own work  - I can bake!!
Looking very pleased with myself!
Is this really Daughter's cooking I am about to eat?

Trip to see the Symington Family to play the game that we all enjoy - how many of us can you get on a 3 seater sofa - we even managed the toy monkey Joey!
Cosy!


Thursday brought the BA Fun Run to raise cash for Cancer Research. It was like a village fete all very low key but very well organised. Neil and Samuel ran the 5k in less that 27 minutes which was very good,
Samuel & Neil -  yes this was after the race - well done!

The Team - French & Saunters ( there was one french lady)

While they were doing that Rosemary and I managed to squeeze in a treatment on the Elemis Spa Bus and the proceeds were going to Cancer Research ( see the link in the  section to the right of this entry ) . So after me having a relaxing neck, scalp & shoulder 15min massage and Rosemary a quick foot massage to try and mend her damaged Achilles - we made it back to see them cross the finish line.
Bliss!
Medal Ceremony !


I got to meet Willie Walsh the CEO of British Airways and after telling him about my treatment and asking him for a picture for the blog he gave me a medal as I deserved one for the race I was running by beating this cancer :-)  What a nice man.




Friday was meant to be spent quietly after the hectic few days but woke with loads of energy so after a pile of ironing and a trip to the supermarket that was me done - so back to resting with Sense & Sensibility - yes you guessed a sleep quickly appeared!

Weekend saw Sharan dropping by for a coffee and a chat AND to get her photo on the  Blog as she's a Fan   but not a follower :-)   she brought me a lovely gardenia plant. Thank you Sharan, hope you enjoyed  the take away Muffins


No comments:

Post a Comment