Thursday 9 September 2010

The Anti Cancer Diet.

I have been meaning to mention how invaluable I have found this  book "Anti Cancer Diet  - a new way of life" by Dr David Servan- Shreiber. I went to Waterstones not long after I was diagnosed looking for  books about super foods and this book leapt out at me. The first lines "Cancer lies dormant in all of us. Like all living organisms, our bodies are making defective cells all the time. That's how tumours are made. But our bodies are also equipped with a number of mechanisms that detect and keep such cells in check." - had me interested as I am ashamed to admit that I had no real understanding about cancer and wanted to knowmore about  what was happening to me. The book turned out to be much more than that. Written by a  doctor who is a twice over cancer survivor it is based on lots of medical research but is easy to understand.

He provides advice on adopting an organic balanced diet consisting of vegetables based on a Mediterranean, Indian & Asian diet. But he advises on how changes to our lifestyles can help.

I am not suggesting that you all rush out and buy this book - but take a look at the Penguin Bookswebsite - where there is a great e-leaflet which summarises the main points of the book and in particularly what foods we should eat and exercise we should take to prevent cancer.


I thought that I had a healthy diet until I read this book - and although I have not prevented cancer, once I get shot of it I do not want it coming back so I have started as I mean to go on by following the advice in the book. It does take a little getting used to  - I have not missed meat and realised how interesting veggie food can be!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Papa,

    I would love to read the book, OK next on my amazon list, i think I would be in for a shock or two, but at least I now know how to cook Curry, Noodles and Lemon drizzel! Thank you to my ever so patient Papa ...

    Love
    Daughter x

    ReplyDelete