Wednesday 25 April 2012

It's been a while since I posted.

I have not posted for a while. I have been busy with lots of different things and researching my new approach to eating and diet. But I should have been updating my blog more frequently as there have been lots happening!

I made another visit to Penny Brohn Cancer Centre in Bristol ( check out their new website) at the beginning of the month. You may recall that I first went here back last August and found my experience there very positive and empowering. I was so looking forward to my visit as the timing after my news from the oncologist was just perfect. The visit exceeded all my expectations. The group I was with were inspirational in their positivity and their approach to living with cancer. As they are all going along their individual journeys they truly "get" what you are going through without any explanation.  True empathy and a great feeling of camaraderie. As a group we laughed a lot and cried a lot and we all came out the other side feeling empowered after re-energising our minds bodies and spirits.

As part of the 4 days that I was there I had the opportunity to meet on a one to one basis for 45 minute sessions with a doctor, a nutritionist and a healer. Wow - what new information I gathered about so many things! I so benefited from those sessions. I have a renewed energy for looking at what I eat, how I exercise, how I meditate and what I need for myself.

Hence the research....... looking at whole grain plant based foods, the importance of having an alkaline body, why mindfulness is so important and so much more. I plan to share what this is over the next few weeks. Needless to say I have been excited by all this new information.

Emily who I met has set up a closed Facebook page for the group of us who met at Penny Brohn so we can keep in touch and also share ideas. This is working very well and a good way to keep that positivity going that we all benefited from when we were together. It is a shame we don't all live closer to each other as we had the makings of a brilliant support group.

When I returned from Bristol on 5 April it was then Easter and so we caught up with family and friends which was lovely. Then I embarked with vigour on my new projects. I have fine tuned my diet to include more green leafy veggies and am reading some excellent book by Patrick Holford on how to boost your immune system and a book called "Forks over Knives". The latter explores how following an organic whole grain plant based diet can help in reducing inflammation so that you are not so susceptible to coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and cancers. They have had convincing and positive results.

My greatest achievement in the last few weeks is giving up sugar. I was told that I had too much in my diet and as cancer likes glucose excess sugar is a real bad thing for me.  So I am trying. I was surprised by how many foods include sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment