Monday 14 January 2013

A Special Lady

Early on New Year's Day a very special lady left us. Heather Hanson, our friend Sally's mum. I had not known Heather  that long,  and yet I felt that I had known her all my life. She was one of those people who immediately made you feel at ease. She had a zest for life and took an enthusiastic interest in everyone she met.  She had the perfect personality for her job as a Stewardess with BOAC & British Airways, those were the days of one flight a week to New York, when the attendants wore white gloves and travelling was all about style, halcyon days that we'll probably never see again and by the sound of it Heather enjoyed every moment.  She was always a joy to be with and always saw the fun in life.

My favourite memory of her was at the Golden Jubilee Street Party in June last year.


Heather is talking to Lynne who has the Queen's mask on. I can hear her laughter. She was in great spirits even though she had just been diagnosed with cancer and was about to start some chemotherapy. During her illness she always remained positive, cheerful and was such an inspiration and always caring of other people.

Her funeral is tomorrow and I will be there to celebrate her life and say a personal fond farewell. I will miss her, as will so many other people, none more so than her beautiful daughters  Sally and Julia. I was so lucky to have known her.

No comments:

Post a Comment